I have to go to Amsterdam once a month. Because of travel expenses I tend to arrive early and then need something to eat.
The area surrounding the train station is a sort of tourist hellscape. Where no decent food can be found unless you’re really into subpar fried shit and Nutella waffles. You know, the type of fair that is pretty much overrunning every city the world over now.
The first time I went this sent me into a panic attack, alleviated with some light meditation in a bathroom stall and(less so) 5 euro chicken nuggets. So the second time I had to venture into Amsterdam I decided to bring my own. And so this salad was born.
This recipe is inspired by a bean salad from Mexico: The Cookbook and the contents of my fridge. It’s turned out to be a refreshing keeper that travels well and holds its own as both a side and a main.
Mango, Bean and Feta Salad
- 1 mango diced
- 1/2 c chickpeas drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 c kidney beans drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 c cannellini or butter beans drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 1 bunch coriander coarsely chopped
- 1/2 block feta cubed
- 1/4 c pickled jalapeños coarsely chopped, more or less if desired
- juice of 1 lime
- Mix everything together. Hey presto: salad!