Let me be a dickhead and admit that I am not even sure what goes into a regular Cobb salad. I know I’ve had to eat regular ass Cobb salad once before I gave up dieting, but it was a diet version so it was probably a lie and definitely not my favorite.
Anyway, summer is supposed to start here (in so far as summer ever starts in Holland) and while you could probably eat this any time of year this has been my favorite summer salad ever since I first discovered it back in 2014. I forgot where I found it so apologies if I haven’t backlinked you.
It’s extremely easy and versatile, and only idiots who don’t understand the magic that is (blue) cheese and fruit won’t like it.
Red Fruit and Blue Cheese Summer Cobb Salad
- whatever lettuce tickles your fancy I like butterhead
- tofu puffs see instructions
- OR chicken strips seasoned, grilled and sliced
- blue cheese of choice, I like Morbier, diced
- avocado cubed
- 1 egg boiled for 7 minutes and quartered
- almonds (smoked if you got 'm) roughly chopped
- vinaigrette of choice see instructions
- Basically… have this with chicken or with tofu. Dump everything on a plate in individual portions. Make it look fancy like I did. Or don't. Add Bacon. Or don't. That's it.
For the Tofu
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 390 Fahrenheit. Cube your firm tofu and cover in a thin layer of sunflower oil, corn flour and salt. Bake for 25 minutes on some parchment. Turning the tofu puffs at the halfway mark.
- I like to have this with a simple vinaigrette of 2 tbsp of olive oil to 1 tbsp of balsamic or red wine vinegar. Sometimes I add some fresh thyme. Sometimes I'll add some red fruit jam. And I always finish it with a good helping of freshly ground black pepper. Store-bought dressing of choice is of course also fine.