I love sweet potato fries. I often have them for dinner with a rando avocado dip of avocado smushed together with whatever else I have laying around. Usually coriander and lime, often some kind of spice, maybe some garlic.
That’s really all I’ve got to say about them. So on to the recipe.
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 large sweet potato a head
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil I use sunflower, just avoid olive oil cause it'll make them soggy
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½-¾ tsp ground hot chilli
- ½ tsp ground smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt WAIT FOR IT!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200-225°C/ 392-435°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the potato and cut it into 50mm or 0.2 inch fries. The more evenly you cut them, the more even they will cook. So try and be tidy (or not).
- I like to leave the skin on because I'm lazy and I like the added texture but feel free to add extra work if that's your thing and peel your potato before you cut it into fries.
- Place the fries into a bowl of cold water and let them sit there while you mix your spices.
- Mix the spices with the cornstarch. DO NOT ADD THE SALT.
- Strain and towel dry the fries.
- Place the dried fries back into the dried bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and mix together so all the fries are coated evenly.
- Use a small sieve to sprinkle your fries with a thin layer of the cornstarch/ spice mix. Make sure the fries get evenly coated.
- Place the fries on your baking sheet in a single layer. Make sure none of the fries are touching. Make sure your fries have breathing room or they won't crisp up.
- Bake your fries in the oven for 30-45 minutes. Turn the fries every 10-15 minutes until they are crisp (or crisp enough, because well really now...). Remove smaller fries if they're done cooking sooner and have a little pre-nibble if you want.
- Season your fries with salt before serving.