I love baked potatoes, they are glorious, wonderful, fluffy, salty, carby goadness, and if you do it right you’ll load ‘m with butter and sour cream. I even had a Baked Potato Buddy t-shirt and my friend Faye crochededed me baked potato for my 40th birthday.
So when I saw a recipe for baked sweet potatoes with miso glazed mince in Joe Yonan‘s Serve Yourself, years ago, I had to make it. It’s a quick and easy recipe you can fall back on any time, so it became a staple for me, switching out the miso for gochujang when the mood struck.
Joe Yonan has since abandoned meat all-together, and has a cool new book about beans out, and I have semi-followed suit. I try to eat meat 2 days a week max, though of course sometimes it’s more like 4 but then I go 10 days without, etc. etc. A lot of people call this being a flexitarian but I prefer to just call it eating.
Either way, since I rarely use minced meat anymore I felt this recipe was a prime candidate to make with my home-made minced tofu and give you an easy vegan recipe for any day of the week.
What you’ll need
- My recipe for home-made vegan minced tofu
Other sauces that will work well with this:
- Harissa, or the tahin used for the noodles
- Hot-tingle hot sauce or its slightly milder cousin with peanut butter
- The sauce for larb gai
- The sauce for Korean inspired crispy tofu tacos
- Buffalo sauce (duh)
Baked Sweet Potato with Miso Glazed Minced Tofu
- 250 gr home-made minced tofu see link above, you can use store-bought (vegan) mince if it's more convenient
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 tbsp miso
- 3 spring onions finely chopped. optional but it does lift the entire dish
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, as above so below
Two ways to bake a sweet potato
- In both instances you wash your sweet potato and then poke holes in it all over with a fork.
- The short way: Place on some kitchen towels in your microwave and microwave for 5 minutes at the highest setting, before turning it over and microwaving it for another 5 minutes.
- The long way: Preheat your oven at 200C/ 400F. Bake your potatoes on a baking tray for 60 minutes or until soft.
For the miso glazed minced tofu
- Make the minced tofu as per my recipe for home-made tofu mince.
- Add the broccoli florets at the end of frying your tofu. Note: I like my broccoli crunchy, if you like it a little softer cook them for 5 to 10 minutes until they have the right bite for you.
- Mix the miso with a little bit of water, until it has the consistency of a thick Hollandaise.
- Strain any remaining oil from the tofu mince and broccoli and turn off the heat.
- Add the miso sauce to the tofu/ broccoli mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Cut your sweet potato in half and dab a good helping of the tofu/ broccoli mixture on top.
- Finish with spring onions and Sriracha.