Sometimes being stuck indoors brings out the best in you. Or me. As the case may be.
I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a vegan version of Mexican Chorizo for ages. I had figured out the spice mix for Lady and Pups chorizo and shrimp burger was the way forward, but the mix itself was too dry and for years I just couldn’t figure out how to fix it.
Then for some reason it hit me. The answer had been right in front of me the entire time. I just mixed it in with some tomato paste, as I do with harissa tofu puffs, and landed on a majestic beast of a sauce.
It’s great like this, with tofu mince on a taco. But also on slow roast fish, mixed with mayo and stuck on a cheese melt. All the applications are equally gorgeous.
Start off with the tacos below and eat your way up from there.
What you’ll need
- This recipe for easy tofu mince
- I used this recipe for quick pickled Mexican-style shallots
Mexican Chorizo Tofu Tacos - Vegan
- 2 portions minced tofu see recipe link above
- 1 small tin tomato puree about 3 tbsp
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika or cayenne dial this up if you like more heat
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar balsamic'll do if you're in a pinch
- 1 tsp tequila omit if dining with minors or people who don't drink alcohol
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano Mexican if you can find it
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 4-8 small tortilla skins
- sunflower oil for shallow frying
- pickled shallots for serving
- coriander for serving
- Make the minced tofu according to the instructions linked above.
- While that's happening stick the tomato paste, garlic, spices, vinegar, tequila and olive oil in a small kitchen mixer and blend until you get as smooth of a paste as you can.
- Fry up your tortilla skins. You should end up with four each. You want the edges to be crisp and the centers to remain kind of chewy. You can spice the oil beforehand if you want to go even wilder. Salt while draining on some kitchen towels.
- When the tofu is finished, drain any excess oil and toss it in 2 to 4 tbsp of the paste.
- To compose a taco: place two tortilla skins on a plate. Top with the tofu mix. Finish with a generous hand of pickled shallots and coriander.
- Any leftover sauce should keep in a closed jar in the fridge for about a week. Mix with mayo to go with fries, on a cheese melt, etc. etc. etc.