A few weeks ago Mr. Porker was off for some work thing on the weekend. So I decided to baked myself some bread, bought some fancy French salted butter and made myself some dips and spreads to go with it.
The problem is that home made bread isn’t all that nice the day after, let alone mine, as I am still in the early stages of learning to bake. So here I was with a bunch of hummus and harissa and nowhere to put it. Or so I thought.
I love it when a plan comes together
Then I remembered I also had a leftover sweet potato laying around that was ready to go. And I always keep a bag of tortillas around in case I need to wrap something or want to fry up a fresh batch nachos.
And so, this sweet potato harissa tofu taco was born. The lackluster photography is compensated by a recipe that, at least in my opinion, is well inspired. I ended up happily having this for dinner (and lunch) three days in a row and being sad that it was gone.
You’ll need the following
- My recipe for making your own vegan minced tofu
- Chickpea and garlic dip, an adjustment to my miso-amped hummus
- Harissa from my vegan harrisa tofu and tahini noodle bowl
- The spice mix from my sweet potato veggie burrito, optional
- The spice mix from my oven-baked sweet potato fries, optional
Sweet Potato and Harissa Tofu Tacos
- 4 tbsp chickpea and garlic spread more to taste, see link above
- 4 tbsp harissa more to taste, see link above
- 250 gr minced tofu see link above, store bought (vegan) mince is fine if you prefer that
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- salt to taste
- sunflower oil
- 4 corn tortillas or whichever type of tortilla you prefer
- bunch parsley optional
- Preheat your oven to 175 C.
- Press your block of firm tofu as per the instructions from my vegan minced tofu recipe.
For the sweet potato
- Lightly coat the sweet potato cubes in sunflower oil and 1/4 of the corn starch. Do not salt the cubes until removing them from the oven.
- Place the sweet potato cubes on a sheet of parchment on a baking tray and cook until they start to brown on the edges. Usually this takes between 20-30 minutes. Be sure to check regularly because sweet potato has a tendency to burn fast.
- Note: you can spice the sweet potato cubes as well, but between the harissa and chickpea and garlic spread I think there's enough going on. If you're looking for a spice mix, try my veggie burrito or sweet potato fries recipes linked above.
For the tofu
- While your sweet potato is cooking, continue preparing the tofu as described in the recipe linked above.
- Toss your fried tofu in a bowl together with the harissa until it's evenly coated.
To assemble your tacos
- Heat your tortillas the way you normally would, I like to heat mine in a dry non-stick frying pan until they begin to crisp.
- Now assemble your tacos: use a back of a spoon to spread the ehr... spread on your taco, top with the harissa coated crispy tofu and oven baked (and salted!) sweet potato and a few sprigs of fresh parsley.
Zoek je dit recept in het Nederlands? Ga dan naar VetteSletten.nl voor zoete aardappel en harissa tofu taco’s.