When I started making these lettuce wraps I made them with chicken mince like the recipe suggested, but one of the things I’ve almost completely phased out as far as meat goes is mince since processed meats are so easy to replace now.
So I was pondering summer foods. And then it hit me this would be super easy to veganize, and so here we are.
The original recipe calls for fish sauce. But I’ve been meaning to try switching that out for miso paste mixed with water and I have to say it works a treat.
What you’ll need
- My recipe for home-made vegan minced tofu
Vegan Larb Gai Salad Wraps
For the tofu
- 500 gr minced tofu see the recipe linked above, or use store-bought (vegan) mince
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp corn flour rice flour also works
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp corn flour rice flours also works
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemon grass finely chopped
- 2 bird's eye chilies deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1/3 c coriander leaves
- 1/3 c fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp crushed peanuts or cashews
- 8-10 small lettuce leaves I like butterhead or little gems
To make the tofu
To make the sauce
- Make a slush with the corn flour, water, lime juice, miso and brown sugar and set aside.
- Reheat the oil you fried the tofu in, or refresh the oil if you prefer and heat that.
- Add the ginger, garlic, lemon grass and chili and saute for a minute or so until fragrant. Be sure to move on to the next step before the garlic burns as burnt garlic is not nice.
- Add the slush while stirring vigorously until the sauce thickens and remove from the heat.
To bring it all together
- Quickly stir in the crisp tofu mince, shallots, mint and coriander until all is evenly distributed and coated in the sauce.
- Serve in or alongside lettuce cups. Garnish with additional fresh mint, coriander, shallots and crushed peanuts or cashews if desired.